7.07.2011

diy {cover an ugly tray, part I}

So I bought this lacquer tray from TJ Maxx knowing I wanted to resurface the map design somehow... 


...then I found this pretty paper at Paper Source in georgetown.  My idea was to modge podge the paper onto the tray to cover up the map design.  It was easy, but didn't work out the way I wanted.  Here's how I did it:

-First, I traced the tray onto the back side of the paper and cut out the hexagonal piece.
-Then I had to trim the edges of the paper a bunch in order for it to fit inside of the tray.


-I made sure the paper fit inside, and then put modge podge onto the base of the tray:


(Here is where I realized I should have taped off the edges of the tray, but wanted to see my results faster, so didn't.)
-I placed the paper onto the bottom of the tray, then smoothed out all of the edges and bubbles.  (and there were A LOT of bubbles - so much so that I am seriously considering redoing this project)
-Lastly, I painted modge podge on the top of the paper and set it to dry:


From this picture, you can really see all of the bubbles/creases that formed from the paper being wet.  I'm really disappointed about this.  If you go back and look at the first picture, the paper looks great - I just need to protect it somehow.  SOO I'm thinking about using the first piece of paper I cut (that was a bit too small) on top of what I modge podged, then cover it with a piece of glass cut to fit the tray. 

We'll see.  As I just typed that, it sounded very ambitious with getting the glass and all.  Has anyone done this before? 

Wish I had thought about how wet the paper would get before I started.  Boo.  Here's how it looked when I finished:
The bubbles aren't as evident, but they will still bother me.  For now, though, I think it will have to work.  I'll keep you posted when I decide to finish this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment